The Draft

It is the first day of the MLB draft.  Now, I don't watch the entire draft.  Frankly, most of it is rather boring.  But, I usually leave it on the computer so I can keep up with it while doing other things.  (After all, the Cubs game today was not worth paying attention to.  Come on, boys!  You have got to get it together!)
I do try to pay attention to the Cubs draft picks.  And, now that I have read The Cubs Way (review coming soon - I promise), I feel like maybe I understand Theo's draft strategy a bit better.  So, I am extra interested in the draft picks.  As I write this paragraph, the Cubs have not drafted yet, but are coming up next.  Before the pick happens, I am going to make a prediction that we are going to be looking for pitching.  We have looked for hitting for awhile now, and it is time to start exploring more pitching.
--------
And, I was correct.  The Cubs took LHP Brendon Little.  A good LHP could be great for the organization.  My concerns?  First of all, pitching prospects can be risky.  Little has also shown some inconsistencies, but hopefully that is something the Cubs can work with.  We have some good pitching coaches that really know what they are doing and have a knack for taking players who have been mediocre pitchers with other organizations and turned them into key players (Jake Arrieta, for one).
--------
And, now we have a righty in Alex Lange.  His tendency to over-throw worries me a little.  The last thing we need is for him to get injured because of poor mechanics.  Once again, though, hopefully this is something the pitching staff will be able to work on with him.  I will have to keep an eye out for him in the upcoming College World Series.  It is always good to get a look at new players.

Well, that is round one of the draft.  We got two picks because Fowler left for the Cardinals.  (Of course, the sportscasters around here only mention that they don't get a first round pick because of that.  They neglect to mention that Houston gets both of their second round picks due to the hacking scandal.)  I will be interested to see what else happens draft-wise.  Theo & Company, Cubs fans are counting on you!  

Comments

Popular Posts