My Cubs Bookshelf

I love to read.  Frankly, I love to read even more than I love baseball (and that is saying something!).  While I largely read fiction, my love of both baseball and reading has led me to read a variety of books on the Chicago Cubs.  Here are the books on my bookshelf I have already finished and recommend:

1) A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred by George F. Will
This book is technically more about Wrigley Field than the Cubs, but, as the two go hand-in-hand, it is really about the Cubs and baseball in general.  I have not read Men at Work or Bunts yet, but they are certainly on my reading list.


2) Ron Santo: A Perfect 10 by Pat Hughes & Rich Wolfe
This is basically just a collection of memories about Ron Santo.  The writing quality isn't always very good, but the stories are. Imagine that you were at Ron Santo's wake.  These are the stories you would have heard people talking about. 

3) 100 Things Cubs Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Jimmy Greenfield
This book is just what the title says it is.  I already knew many of the facts in this book, but I still learned a few, plus I added a few items to my bucket list.  This version came out at the beginning of the 2016 season.  Now, there is a World Series Champion version as well.  That would certainly change a few things in the book, so I may need to get my hands on a copy of that as well. 

4) A Season for the Ages: How the 2016 Chicago Cubs Brought a World Series Championship to the North Side by Al Yellon
This is your basic season recap book.  Unlike some of the books that are mostly pictures with some player biographies (of which I own two that I am not even going to discuss here), this actually breaks down the entire season, month by month (and almost game by game).  This book is not for the casual fan.  You will probably get bored from all of the details.  But, for the die-hard Cubs fan?  This book is fantastic and I highly recommend it. 

Like I mentioned earlier, I also have both the official MLB Cubs World Series Champions book and the Chicago Tribune Won for the Ages book.  While both of these are great and serve their purpose, they are not the type of book I would read straight through.  I reference these when looking for something specific, or, more likely, when I just want to reminisce about the fantastic 2016 season.  There are also the library books I have read and don't own, which are too many to mention here.  
I am excited about the two new books that just arrived on my doorstep.  Don't worry - you will get a review of those when I am done with them.  Happy Reading!



Comments

Popular Posts